You may be aware that the government is currently allocating additional funding to schools in the form of ‘The Pupil Premium’
One of the criteria used to calculate this additional funding is the number of pupils at a school who receive Free School Meals (FSMs). In common with most schools it is likely that a number of parents/carers whose children attend Wren Spinney fail to claim FSMs, even though they are entitled to them
As I am sure you will agree the children at our school can only benefit if we are able to attract additional funding. Not only that, our catering team provides an excellent range of healthy lunch options that are enjoyed daily by a significant number of our pupils. Your child may well be able to access these free of charge
If you are eligible for and claim FSMs, you will also be provided with other services by the school, such as
- Financial support for Educational Trips.
- Access to additional support for your child’s learning and/or well-being
In order to claim FSMs a parent/carer must be claiming one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but no Working Tax Credit is being received by the claimant or his/her partner and the combined annual income as assessed by HMIR on a TC602 form is not above £16,190)
- The Guaranteed Element of Pension Tax Credit.
- Asylum Seeker under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. If you think that you are eligible to apply for FSMs for your child, or if you are not sure, you may want to contact the CBC Customer Services helpdesk on 0300 300 8000. A member of their team will be able to advise you. When calling, it will help if you have your National Insurance number to hand. In this way, you will be able to register for Free School Meals immediately should you be eligible to do so.